Performs phlebotomies in a safe, accurate and professional manner. Responsible for the accurate
pre-analytical processing and registration of laboratory specimens and ensuring delivery of those
specimens to the appropriate laboratory section. Includes the handling of biohazardous and infectious
material while following proper safety precautions. Also responsible for assisting client services and
technical associates in resolving specimen quality and integrity concerns.
Responsible for identifying, troubleshooting and resolving problems; documentation of
problems, and following safe laboratory practices.
1.Responsible to and receives direction from the outreach coordinator, outreach sales
and marketing representative and outreach program manager.
2. Performs registration and order entry for collections in a variety of areas as well as
collection of samples using multiple vascular accesses.
3. Enter and process patient information with a minimal error rate.
4. Obtain appropriate signatures upon registration
5. Interpret and ensure compliance with payer guidelines for accurate input.
6. Exhibit knowledge and accuracy pertaining to Medical Necessity.
7. Medical terminology preferred.
8. Verifies that correct specimen and labeling requirements are met for test orders.
9. Correctly and accurately registers and labels tubes as appropriate.
10. Centrifuges and aliquots specimens according to department policy.
11. Sorts, stores, and delivers laboratory specimens by department and specimen
requirements, as appropriate.
12. Works with medical technologists and client services to resolve specimen problems.
13. Provides a variety of other services including but not limited to chain of custody samples,
ambulatory blood pressures, rapid strep, other laboratory testing as required, and provides
instruction for specimen collection.
14. Answers telephones and provides assistance as needed.
15. Interacts with physicians, paramedical support services, and nursing staff.
16. Gives direction to new employees, students, and visitors.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. KNOWLWDGE/ EDUCATION: Requires a high school diploma or equivalent, (GED).
Must complete a phlebotomy-training program or equivalent experience.
2. PRIOR EXPERIENCE: SPECIAL SKILLS: Computer experience and some knowledge
of or exposure to medical terminology is very helpful, phlebotomy experience required.
3. LICENSURE, REGISTRATION, CERIFICATION: Requires a valid driver's license.
Phlebotomy certification desired.
4. SPECIAL SKILLS: Must be able to learn multiple computer systems.
5. OTHER: Must be highly organized, efficient, and multifunctional. Must have above
average communication skills typing ability, and good number recall.
1. Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
2. Must possess skills in coping, adherence to policy and procedure, understanding and
follow written instruction, alertness, commitment to task, versatility, team building,
attention to detail decision making and problem solving, and interaction.
1. Good manual dexterity.
2. Must have at least average strength as incumbent assists patients and small children who
sometimes require restraint.
3. May include standing for more than 50 percent of the time.
4. Occasional lifting up to 25-50 pounds.